Med Technologist - Laboratory - PRN
Company: CHI St. Vincent
Location: Little Rock
Posted on: March 18, 2019
Position Type: PRN
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 0
Primary Location: AR > LITTLE ROCK > ST VINCENT INFIRMARY
Under general supervision and direction, perform clinical laboratory procedures. Performs high, moderate and waived complexity procedures as define in the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988. Maintains working knowledge of theories involved in clinical testing. With increasing experience, performs specialized tests requiring a high degree of expertise and may serve in a team leader capacity as assigned.
For all new employees hired after October 10, 2012.
Required: Bachelor of Science or post-graduate degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biology or Physical Science
- Graduation from an accredited Medical Technology Program or at least one year of experience in a clinical, analytical, or environmental laboratory.
- Registered (or registry eligible*) with a nationally accredited certifying agency (e.g. American Society of Clinical Pathology, American Medical Technology, etc.)
- NOTE: Registry eligible employees are expected to complete and pass all requirements for certification within one year of employment. Failing to meet this requirement within one year will result in the termination of employment with CHI St. Vincent Health System.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift and carry twenty-five (25) pounds. Must be able to stand or sit up to four (4) hours at a time. Position requires the ability to stoop to perform technical operations on instrumentation.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the clinical laboratory to include microbiology, biology, hematology, immunohematology, urinalysis and chemistry.
- Considerable knowledge of a clinical laboratory as it applies to collecting and processing specimen. Testing of samples, interpretation of results, and the communication of those results to appropriate personnel.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state regulations governing clinical laboratories.
- Knowledge of laboratory chemical and biological safety
- Ability to operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Ability to troubleshoot laboratory equipment and processes
- Performs the duties of a General Supervisor, as defined by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act, in the absence of a general supervisor in the department.
- CLIA Category: Testing Personnel, General Supervisor
PRIMARY CUSTOMERS: Frequent contact with patients, families of patient, hospital personnel, physicians and coworkers.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Frequent interaction with hospital personnel, physicians and coworkers.
AGE GROUPS: ___Neonate/Infant (Birth 1 mo) ___Infant (1 mo 1 yr) ___Toddler (1 yr 3 yrs) ___Preschool (3 yrs 6 yrs) ___School Age (6 yrs 13 yrs) _X__Adolescent (13 yrs 18 yrs) _X__Adult (18 yrs 64 yrs) _X__Older Adult (65 + yrs)
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Specimen Collection/Processing/Testing: Follows laboratory procedures for specimen collection, handling, processing, test analysis, reporting and maintenance of records of patient test results as authorized by the supervisor. Monitors test systems for proper performance and accuracy regarding reporting of test results and reports problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting results 40% of the time
- Quality Control: Performs quality control procedures, instrument function checks and any necessary calibration
and maintenance procedures. Follows established laboratory safety guidelines. With minimal assistance, completes procedures within established time frames. Correlates complete sample data prior to reporting results and documents irregularities. Monitors quality control results to assure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained. With appropriate experience, may review cumulative QC, submit data and evaluate intra and inter lab results and maintain lot specific QC data 20% of time
- Documentation: Maintains records to ensure proper documentation of activities and results. Documents all
corrective actions taken when tests systems deviate from the laboratorys established performance specifications 10% of time
- Quality Assurance: Performs quality assurance on laboratory testing. Quality Assurance areas include turn
around time verification, sample evaluation, and others as defined in the Quality Assurance Policy 10% of time
- Information systems: Enter data accurately and in accordance with laboratory policies. Retrieves results and
information. Maintains patient confidentiality 5% of time
- Equipment Maintenance: Operates various complex instrumentation. Performs preventative maintenance
protocols. With minimal assistance, investigates and corrects equipment malfunction. Records appropriate documentation 5% of time
- Education: Participates in continuing education opportunities. Demonstrates technical procedures to laboratory
personnel as requested by supervisor 5% of time
- Materials Management: Performs inventory, ordering, receiving and stocking of designated supplies as directed
by section supervisor 5% of time
- Supervision: May be required to act as a general supervisor, as defined by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement
Act of 1988, in the absence of other laboratory management personnel. -
- Requisition ID: 2019-R0216088
- Schedule: Part-time
- Market: CHI St. Luke's Vintage Hospital
Keywords: CHI St. Vincent, Little Rock , Med Technologist - Laboratory - PRN, Healthcare , Little Rock, Arkansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!