Buyer - 40 Hrs
Company: Boston Medical Center
Location: Little Rock
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Reports to the Materials Acquisition Manager and is responsible
for negotiating the procurement of materials, supplies, equipment,
and services for his/her assigned hospital departments and/or
commodity group. The objective is to ensure the materials,
supplies, equipment and services are acquired from the most
reliable and cost effective sources that meet the needs of the
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It's a network
of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands
of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider
of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing
community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently
excellent and accessible health services to all-and is the largest
safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the
primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston
University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of
Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that
includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us
achieve ourVision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston the
healthiest urban population in the world. Position: Buyer-AFSCME
Department: Purchasing Schedule: Full Time POSITION SUMMARY:
Reports to the Materials Acquisition Manager and is responsible for
negotiating the procurement of materials, supplies, equipment, and
services for his/her assigned hospital departments and/or commodity
group. The objective is to ensure the materials, supplies,
equipment and services are acquired from the most reliable and cost
effective sources that meet the needs of the customer (department).
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Develops and maintains communications with internal customers
and vendors to ensure the needs of the department are met.
- Monitor results through complaints, and informal as well as
formal customer satisfaction surveys.
- Procures materials, supplies, equipment and services for
designated areas of the hospital within two days of receipt of
- Assists customers with researching product information,
contacting vendors, obtaining price quotes, and negotiating
- Composes purchase orders, verifies availability, establishes
delivery dates, monitors back orders, expedites deliveries, and
communicates status to customers.
- Consults with customers regarding supply needs and resolves any
- Coordinates product recalls, returns and expired items.
- Negotiates pricing for items with the approval of the Materials
- Supports cost containment objectives by utilizing group
purchasing contracts, encouraging product standardization, and
recommending inventory containment opportunities.
- Enters data into the Material Management Information
- Performs as back-up for other buyers as required.
- Develops and/or recommends policies and procedures to achieve
the goals and objectives of Materials Management.
- Establishes and maintains professional, effective, and ethical
relationships with customers and representatives of suppliers,
distributors, manufacturers, and monitors quality of service
- Responds to customer inquiries and/or needs within 24 hours in
writing, orally, or through E-mail, copying the Material
Acquisition Manager on all responses.
- Meets with assigned departments on a periodic basis.
- Follows material management and hospital policies and
procedures. Recommends modifying policies or exceptions are brought
to the attention of management.
- Ensures material acquisition standards, safety standards, and
quality assurance criteria are met 100% of the time.
- Participates in assigned committees and acts as a materials
management liaison, interfacing with other material management
departments as required.
- Advances professional growth and development through
participation in educational programs, workshops, and reading
current material management literature.
- Maintains a current and very active role in the "Enhanced
Distribution Program" with participating vendors regarding the
purchase and delivery of supplies.
- Maintains counts on all copiers and provides accurate reports
to managers within one week of the end of the period.
- Completes MED Flight orders by Thursday and keeps an accurate
record of necessary procedures.
- Maintains criteria established for the O.R. functions and
- Additional customer and/or commodity specific criteria will be
established and published as appropriate.
- Assists Accounts Payable personnel in the processing of
invoices and resolves invoice and payment problems within 45
- Utilizes hospital's Values as the basis for decision making and
to facilitate the division's hospital mission.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety
procedures. JOB REQUIREMENTS EDUCATION: Bachelors plus 2 years
relevant experience (or equivalent, i.e. HS/GED plus 6 + years
relevant experience or Associates plus 4+ years relevant
experience). CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED :
Professional certification in purchasing preferred EXPERIENCE: (See
requirements in education section) KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Work requires a comprehensive knowledge of the procedures and
systems used in purchasing in order to procure materials, supplies,
equipment and services.
- Proficient with standard Microsoft programs and web
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build and
maintain strong relationships with customers and vendors Associated
topics: chief investment officer, controller, director, financial
director, general operations manager, manage, operation, president,
senior director, staff
Keywords: Boston Medical Center, Little Rock , Buyer - 40 Hrs, Human Resources , Little Rock, Arkansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!